Sunday 27 February 2011

Feeling Retro

Hi have you had a good weekend? I've been feeling a bit retro. Having decided on a pudding  to take to a Sunday lunch invite I was disappointed to have to change my original plan when I couldn't find an ingredient. Tell me, is there a world tinned cherry shortage? Anyway I finally settled on making a good old standby - a pineapple upside down pudding.

Not very modern you're thinking and you'd be right as the recipe I turn to when I make this is one from my first year home economics recipe book circa 1981. Written in my bestest handwriting, bestest handwriting for an 11 year old anyway complete with original splashes.
 And you know what it was like, you were made to cover your exercise books in sticky back plastic or wallpaper or in my case the wipeable wallpaper that the kitchen had just been decorated in. So many shades of brown.....
But whenever I make this the result is always the same - delicious.

And to finish my retro weekend I have a layout to share. When Alana scrapped a 70's photo of her being a bridesmaid I thought I should hunt out my photos too. I can't remember exactly how old I was and I need to check some details with my Mum so I can add some journalling. I can't work out if I look serious or just plain unhappy.
Do you have any photos of you as a bridesmaid that you want to share?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love pineapple upside down cake! You don't see it much though do you - yum!

Sandra said...

I'm thinking you took your role of bridesmade very seriously :) ... how wonderful.

You could bring back the pineapple upside down cake all over again :)

It's funny, when I'm looking for a recipe, I have favourite old cookery books I always turn to - all are well loved, and very well used, with pages stuck together and the covers almost bare, where they've caught the sun ..oohh I'm thinking that would be good to scrap LOL.

Alana said...

Awww, loving the photo. It looks like you are in service at t' big ouse. Nothing wrong with a bit of pineapple upside down cake. I hate it when the people put others down when the style of cooking is not NOW. The oldie receipes are the best. Hope you all enjoyed it.

Sian said...

The friend I blogged about yesterday? We were talking about Home Economics just last week! (Though our school was so behind the times, we were still calling it Domestic Science in our first year) And we agreed that the only nice thing we made was Pineapple UpsideDown cake - with the worst being Liver Ragout. Did you have to make it?

Of course I love this post! Just my kind of nostalgia

alexa said...

Oooh, it's about the only cake-y pudding I make! My most-often-used recipe book is bashed and battered, with stuck together pages too. I was heart-broken when I discovered my Mun had thrown away her Good Housebooking recipe book that accompanied me through my childhood... I remember Domesatic Science too though we never got to make anything. Sorry but have no bridesmaids' photos - hope you are happier now!

DEBBIE said...

Hi there... you make the loveiest things!
Specially the pineapple upside down cake! yum! Yum!

DEBBIE MOSS