Monday 23 January 2012

A New Pillowcase = A Fabric Album

I recently bought some new pillowcases and when I unpacked them out fell some cardboard packaging from inside. It looked just like the cover of an album. So I remembered not to leave it out so it was safe from the recycling bin.

Then an idea began to form of how I could put to good use some of my new found quilting techniques and make a fabric cover.
I pieced together some of my favourite scraps and included a tiny crocheted doily that I found along with some decorative scissors and buttons.

The rear view

Rather than using machine quilting I handstitched all the panels and added some ribbon and felt flower details.
Inside I attached a strip of card reinforced with some washi tape with holes punched where I could thread the book rings through. It was a bit tricky but I got there eventually. The cardboard 'album' simply slips into the pockets on either side.
I'm going to use this album to record my sewing projects completed in 2012.

I realise now I should have shown you how the album started life but I did buy a new sheet at the same time so there could be an album number 2.

12 comments:

ForgedinPaper said...

I think that album is going to get a good workout this year. It's really nice. I did have visions of you cutting up the pillowcase at first lol

Celtic Thistle said...

What a great way to record your projects, inspiration too

Sian said...

You are on an amazing creative roll at the moment! This is beautiful - upcycling at its very best

BendingPins.com said...

Fabulous! How wonderfully creative of you, your album turned out beautifully!

Visiting from SewHappyGeek.

Karen said...

What a great project - will definitely have to give it a go! Thanks for sharing

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Amanda, this is so pretty. I love the look of this and just want to reach out and touch it! It looks like a great scrapbook page done in fabric with all your sweet details. LOVE how you have made 2012 with the measuring tape bit. Clever you!!!

Lou said...

You are a very talented lady - I love it and look forward to seeing what else you sew to record in your new book :)

Claire Jain said...

That is really cute! It looks great with the button embellishments.

alexa said...

Just wonderful! I really admire your creative skill and thinking!

Nathalie said...

I love it Amanda!!! LOVE the hand stitching and the funky look of all the scraps put together! It looks like you had fun making it too :)

Alana said...

Your so cleaver at this sewing lark. Great idea and it looks fab too:) can you send me your email address Amanda then I can answer your question re blending on cards. Thanks:)

Margaret said...

really cute idea. Looks awesome as usual.