Friday 11 May 2012

Hurray!

Crochet, it's one of those things I've always wanted to do but never quite got the hang of. My Mum patiently tried to teach me on a number of occasions but I was the impatient one and let's just say that we both thought it best if I find another way of learning. Then last week I saw Kate's lovely layout where she had crocheted her own trim. Right I was going to do this......
 ....and I did, I can't tell you how good it felt to finally get it. My furry assistant was no help at all but she is very keen on pummelling my balls of wool.
I know I should have learnt the basics first but I so wanted to be able to crochet a basic granny square. I put a gloomy bank holiday weekend to good use and tracked down some tutorials. I can totally recommend this one at Meet Me At Mikes by Pip for learning granny squares and I'm going to make a real effort to take these lessons by Crafty Minx at her crochet school to learn the basics.

So that's what I've been up to for the last week dreaming of colour combinations for granny squares.

9 comments:

Sian said...

Well done, you! As you know, I've been telling myself I'm going to learn for months now..you've beaten me to it with your lovely squares :)

Lou said...

I love to crochet and learnt by crocheting granny squares. you've done a marvelous job x

Anonymous said...

Oh, Mand, they're fabulous! I will, I will, I will, one day learn to crochet. I will ;)

Sandra said...

I have been trying to learn for ages, even went to a class - but it still hasn't clicked. But I am going to keep trying, and the links will be perfect, thank you so much

Alana said...

I'm annoyed now (stamps foot) that I still haven't managed to do it. Must try harder...Well done to you, there will be no stopping you now.

Kate said...

Your squares are wonderful! I haven't tried any yet.... Thanks for the link back & links to useful crochet sites x

Sarah H said...

Yeahhhhh! Well done! They look really good. Now you can keep going and keep going and end up with a blanket ;-)

alexa said...

Persistence and talent pays off! I see hear your mind whirring on how to use these from here. :)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh how fun, Amanda! Your granny squares look lovely. A couple of years ago I set out to learn how to crochet and I watched videos on YouTube until I figured out how to do a granny square. From there I figured out flowers, and eventually (just recently) made a few little stuffed animals. As soon as my awesome shoulder allows, I'm going to get back to it. I love crocheting, and I'm happy that you have found your groove with it too!